Monday, September 20, 2010

Welcome to Music for the Mind!

From the Amazon.com review of "Music and the Mind" by Anthony Storr:  'British psychologist Storr argues that music originates from the human brain, promotes order within the mind, exalts life and gives it meaning.' Well, yeah.  I cannot imagine life without music, it's just such an integral part of my life.  For me I use it as an enhancement of my surroundings (listening to "Bitches Brew" while sailing past Kilauea at night was almost a religious experience), or as a distraction from the tedium of driving, or just as way to get "out of body" for a while and escape into another place.

So this blog is just going to be about music I'm currently enjoying, be it a new release or an old gem I may have recently discovered or re-discovered.  I've got pretty diverse tastes in music, so things will be ranging from jazz & fusion to progressive rock to electronic & ambient to who knows what.  I'll also blog about concert recordings I've come across on any of the bit torrent sites I frequent as this is the way I usually find new music - there are a number of artists I found out about from a concert I downloaded via bit-torrent and went on to purchase official releases by.  From time to time I may get into the technical side of things, such as headphones or music devices, but one thing I'm to stay away from is politics.  I've got strong political opinions but music is about bring people together, so in that spirit I'm going to stay away from a topic that can be so divisive these days.

Onward and upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment